Good tip, Patrick. Thanks.
On Dec 3, 2004, at 12:58 AM, Patrick Genovese wrote:

Here's a little trick that i picked up i've found that in some situations it works even better than the channel mixer. The concept is similar to channel mixer except that you get more

1. Create a new adjustment layer for levels or curves, lets call this layer "A". when the layer or curves dialog pops up don't change anything just click ok. Your image will not be affected.

2. Create a second Adjustment Layer using Layer \ New Adjustment Layer \ Hue Saturation. Set the Saturation Slider to -100

Now go back to layer A and adjust the curves / levels for the red green and blue channels indepenedntly. I find this more versatile than the vanilla channel mixer.

Also experiment with the blend mode of layer A I normally use the colour or hue blend modes and sometimes multiply although the multiply tends to give some extreme effects.

What I tend to do is to create multiple versions of layer A and rapidly switch between them to see which effect I like best.

WRT the choice of whether to use curves or levels for layer A i generally find that curves gives me more flexibility but it really depends on the image in question. Normally curves is my first attempt.

Patrick