When I was looking for a decent method to convert GRB to mono, I came
across this a while back:

Author unknown -

      Recently at ImagingUSA2003 in Las Vegas, Gary Rogers of R9 (the brains
behind Septone) showed us one of the workflows for Grayscale conversion of
RGB images that he uses. We found it to be far superior to the standard
conversion and thought it would be helpful to share it.

      Step 1. Flatten Image

      Step 2. Create New Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer with the following
properties:
      Mode: Saturation
      Hue: -180
      Saturation: -100
      Lightness: +100

      Step 3. Convert to LAB Color. Choose the Flatten Option if given.

      Step 4. Open the Channels Window and delete Channels 'A' and 'B'

      Step 5. Convert to Grayscale.

      Congratulations! You now have one of the best converted images known
to man...well, it's very good anyways...

HTH

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__