Good advice.  I just put a tilde (~) in front of the name, and that seems
to do the trick.

And let's not forget that one can run msconfig and see exactly what's being
loaded on startup, both services and programs, and you can check/uncheck
boxes and see how the changes effect the system.  For example, my office
gets quite hot in the summer, and I run the Intel system monitor to keep
track of the temps in the computer.  IMO, summertime requires the monitor
to be running.  Now that I'm freezing my ass of, I've unchecked the various
monitor boxes, thereby freeing memory for the system, but not needing to
change file names and screw around with making changes to them later, or
possibly mistyping something or accidentally deleting an item.

The bottom line is to know your system ... one needn't be an expert at
Windows or programming, but just know what's supposed to be on the system
and what's helpful or not.  There are many resources to enable this
knowledge ...

Shel