Hi Dave,

Sometimes doing a system restore helps, but since this has been going on a
while you may need go back a ways in your restore settings.  How far back
do they go?  Do you have XP SP1?

Another thing to try is to manually clean up your machine.  Get rid of all
temp files, cookies that are scattered about, histories, and so forth.
Do you know how to do that?

What settings are you using with Spybot?  It took a while for me to figure
out what works best, but that was mostly for maintenance as my machine is
pretty clean.  Every day I delete the crap, run the spy protection
programs, and check the machine for what may be troublesome files.  I also
clean out the registry every so often with Norton's WinDoc.

Also, a lot of the free spyware cleaners and blockers add spyware to your
system, and screw it up even further.  Just read a series of articles about
that in a couple of computer magazines.  Try Webroot's Spysweeper.  Between
that, Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Earthlink's little standalone program
(SpyAudit), you should be OK once you get your machine cleaned up. Be
careful about downloading free programs to your machine.  They are often a
lot of trouble.

Drop me a note if you need specifics about files, cookies, and so on.
Maybe I can help, point you to a few specific URL's ... I'm no expert, just
a bit compulsive.

Shel

SP 2 from MS.