Hey Paul,

I have one of those lenses purchased when they first came out.  I
never felt that it would produce a shot as nice as that.  I'm going to
have to get it out and give it a whirl to see just what it can do.
Beyond the lens, I like this shot - a very different angle than I
usually see of a squirrel.

Bruce

pcn> We had some decent light today, so I walked down the street
pcn> to the marsh, hoping to see some birds. I usually take the A
pcn> 400/5.6 and a tripod or monopod on such occasions, but I was
pcn> feeling lazy, so I mounted the FA 80-320/4.5-5.6. The birds must
pcn> have all had hangovers, because they were in hiding, but this
pcn> squirrel kept watching me. Looking at his girth, I'd bet he's
pcn> been fed pretty well by humans. He wouldn't come close, but he
pcn> wasn't totally camera shy either. Here's a handheld shot at 320mm
pcn> on the *istD. The stop is 5.6, the shutter speed 1/250 at iso
pcn> 400. The fov is, of course, equivelant to a 480mm lens on a 35mm
pcn> film camera.  This isn't a great lens, but it's a lot of fun for
pcn> walkarounds where a long reach is a good thing.
pcn> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3000223&size=lg