> Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:05:13 -0500
> From: "Bill Owens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
> Subject: Re: Film is Dying, Chapter 3
>
> And, according to our informal count, we sold 74 digital cameras in December
> and 8 film cameras.
>
> Bill

Everyone's GOT a film camera already, and the used market is flooded with
them.  There's little to push people to buy a BETTER film camera now that
digital is looking affordable.

I agree, though, that film is waning to a niche market.  As digital gets
cheaper and better it actually makes more economic sense for the P&S crowd
to be buying digital (as well as the WYSIWYG advantages).  As digital
becomes competitive on quality and convenience grounds, film will only be
used by those seeking its unique look and advantages.  Nobody has yet come
up with a good replacement for slide film for some uses.  B&W photography
has not died with the advent of color, but it has become a niche thing.

One thing that nags the back of my mind is battery power, though.
Currently, digital cameras are not cheap enough that people will happily
replace their camera in 7 years when you can't get the proprietary LION
battery that it came with, and I can't see the companies having any reason
to sell batteries for older cameras instead of selling newer cameras.
You can get batteries for most older film  cameras (they only took a
couple of kinds), even the oddballs like the spotmatic, and of course most real
cameras don't need batteries anyway.

Personally, I've made sure I have a way to power all my DSLRs when I
can't get batteries for them any more.  Kudos to Pentax for the use
of a AA-size battery compartment in the *istD, although I'd love to see a
proprietary high-capacity LION battery that fits where the batteries go.

DJE