Dave,

Tanya may have been the recent purchaser.  I have the lens from about
the time I bought my *istD.  I have previously owned the good Tokina
28-70/2.6-2.8.

So here goes:
The lens is quite sharp.  It is not as good as my Tamron SP 90/2.8
macro or my FA 50/1.4 - but not far behind.

It is built pretty well - feels solid and has a nice feel for both
zooming and manual focus (what I do most of the time).  It is not up
to Tokina tank standards, but better than a typical consumer zoom.

A big plus over the Tokina is that it focuses down to 13" - the Tokina
is much worse.  It also has a zoom lock at shortest focal length so
that you can carry it lens pointing down without it creeping.  It's
size and weight and very nice for balancing on the *istD without
feeling overly front heavy.  All in all, a very nice lens in that
category.  Every user review that I have read has been positive.

I would buy it again.

--
Best regards,
Bruce

bcin>          Memory seems to think, someone recently purchased this lens.

bcin> If so any comments for use on the D.

bcin> Thanks in advance

bcin> Dave Brooks