Dave Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>          Memory seems to think, someone recently purchased
this lens.

> If so any comments for use on the D.

Hi Dave,

I posted this comment regarding the 28-75 not long ago, hope
this helps:

> Andre Langevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I already have a 24-90mm and rarely go to 90mm so
performance
> from
> > 24mm to 75mm is what interests me.  Portability is not a key
> feature.
> > Only optical performance (including flare control).
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Hi Andre,
>
> I own both and a couple of weeks ago I did perform a side by
> side comparison (just to be nitpicking, since I already do
> prefer the 28-75 overall, mostly because I need the extra
speed
> and do prefer the fixed f/ throughout the zoom range).
> I did test them at f/4.5 and f/9.5 (even if I do usually avoid
> shooting at stops smaller than 6.7, 8 on the *istD, to avoid
> make the dust on the sensor too visible); the description
comes
> from judging the results at 100% magnification on the monitor
> (subject: buildings from 200m to 1km circa).
> At 28mm and 50mm (f/4.5): the Tamron is the winner wrt
> sharpness; the difference is small in the centre but
definitely
> big in the corners (softness of the 24-90 starting from circa
> 1/2 frame). At f/9.5 the situation is reversed, with the
Tamron
> that doesn't seem to gain much (it was good already, though)
> while the Pentax lens gets a lot better, surpassing by a small
> but visible margin the Tamron (better definition of small
> details).
> At 75mm f/4.5, the 24-90 performs marginally better closer to
> infinity (but I suspect that the focusing was set differently
-
> the lenses were both focused by the camera and there is a
> certain amount of difference in depth of field, with closer
> objects better defined on the Tamron either at 4.5 and 9.5).
At
> f/9.5 there is almost no difference and becomes difficult to
say
> which one is better, probably more a different rendition of
the
> details more than a question of lpm.
> About the flare: the 24-90 handles flare quite well, but it is
> one of the worst Pentax lenses I used wrt reflections (at 24mm
> it shows a lot of aperture-shaped reflections when pointed to
> the sun - for example, the 28-70/4 is way better, it never
> suffered from this kind of behaviour, and so is the 20-35).
The
> Tamron performs really well for a non SMC lens, but shows a
> strange kind of reflections, as it sometimes duplicates small,
> strong lights on the scene (and it is not predictable in the
> finder, so I guess it is a problem of reflections of light
> hitting the sensor and then duplicating on the rear element of
> the lens - there is an example in the portrait of Stan at
> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2784631 - look at
> the shirt).
> The Tamron is so good overall that I can live with that.
> HTH.
>
> Ciao,
>
> Gianfranco
>
> PS: If you want to, I can upload small portions of the
pictures
> in a photo.net folder, hoping that they do not resize them, to
> show you the differences.

I recently discovered that the reflections are visible in the
finder (faintly, but they are there - you have to be careful)
and of course are annoying only when shooting wide open or
thereabouts.

Ciao,

Gianfranco

=====