Thanks for the examples Jens.
(All very nice shots BTW)
And thanks everyone for your comments.

I like the effect with the soft-boxes, but it is
hard to judge because of the difference in media,
subject, etc.
I think I like the more directional, but still
soft light of the boxes.
I have on ocassion put dark cloth over the umbrellas
(sort of a 'barndoor' effect.) to get a bit more
direction to the light.
Seems it would be very easy to mask a large box if
one felt it was a bit too soft.

One more question, how hard is it to transport a
soft-box?
Umbrellas are of course very easy.

Don