In a message dated 1/13/2005 12:44:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I spent $600 on a never used but second-hand set of studio flash units. That
bought me two 350 watt monolights, a 150 watt hair light with snorkel, two
umbrellas, three stands, and carrying cases. They were worth ever penny. I'm
only
sorry that I first wasted a couple hundred on tungsten lights. The monolights
are adjustable, so you can dial the power up or down, which gives you lots of
control. And since the flash is quite fast (1/300 second), I can handhold
when it suits my purposes.

That being said, you CAN work with tungsten. Photographers got by with
tungsten lights for many years before electronic flash. But it's a struggle. If
you
plan to eventually do a fair amount of studio work,  you might be better off
waiting until you can afford something better.
=========
Good points, thanks. The reason I asked is I don't really want to WASTE
money. Maybe a slave flash system is the way to start.

Marnie aka Doe   Hmmmm.