"David A. Mann" wrote:

>  The only thing I don't like about my Manfrotto
> gear is the cork-lined quick-release plates.
> They get no grip on the camera.  They've switched
> to using rubber since I bought mine, and I can only
> hope it's better.

I saw the new rubber covered plates at a local camera shop.  I
happened to have one of the cork covered plates with me.  A fellow
was trying out t'pod heads to use with his telescope, so we compared
the rubber covered plates with the cork covered ones.  The rubber
seemed to offer more grip.

However, some time ago there was a thread here about vibration, and
I believe it was suggested that rubber, while affording more grip in
this case, may also allow for greater vibration effects.

IAC, I'm definitely getting a rubber covered quick release plate at
some point as I do believe it offers enough advantages in some
situations that it's a worthwhile expenditure.

FWIW, the plate in question was for the Manfrotto 410 geared head.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]