It would be difficult to call Dali's work a lie since he was not trying to fool anyone into thinking it was reality. I would consider something to be a lie if it were trying to make me truly believe it was the truth.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

And a beautiful. well-executed lie can be artful and valuable. Would anyone say
that Dali's work was not artful, although it mimiced reality while twisting it
to suit the artist's intention?
Paul

Dag is a bit of a master at photographic trickery through the use of mirrors and the like.
His definition of the truth is, to me, rather suspect, since his lies happen in front of the lens, but he is able to call his pictures truthful since they are what the lens saw.

Obfuscating the truth is still a lie.

William Robb

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Heim"
Subject: AW: Dogmatism: what is allowed?

I can't agree with you.
I know that pictures have ever been manipulated, people have even been
cut out of images because of political reasons. But does that give as a
carte blanche to manipulate pictures without telling anybody about it?

I give you a practical example. A few years ago htere was a terroristic
incident in luxor, egypt, where many people died. There were a lot of
pictures. One of them showed the plaxe and a puddle of blood. So thought
we. In real, it was an ordinary puddle of water, but some guy made it
look a little more redish.
Some newspaper printed the picture. It was a big scandal.

I would say, in a journalistic environment, that wasn't OK. I think you
would agree. But were is the borderline?

I'm more tolerant, if a picture is declared as "art". If anybody can see
it was manipulated. But, if you shoot a picture for national geografic
magazine - you can't tinker around.

Michael