On 29 Jan 2005 at 17:00, Peter Smekal wrote:

> Another argument not to get the *ist D blown into the wind ...gggrrr ...
> thank you guys ... :-)

Read the previous comments as you will but for my money the card door and eject
mech is a bad design and still is a bad design after I've been using it for a
year. My cards are still a pig to get out (especially compared to previous
cameras I've owned that also used CF). The post view mode selection sequence is
clumsy and could be remedied with software. A highlights feature (like on the
*ist DS) would be very handy (I guess that's why they added it to the *ist DS)
and the joy-stick on the back is an absolute pig of a design, one of the
poorest implementations of such a control that I've used. We have an iPaq
Pocket-PC and a Muvo MP3 player they both have smaller joy-sticks of similar
appearance but they both seem to work far better than the Pentax control. These
gripes may sound minor but they've caused me frustration in the field so I
remember them.

I hope whatever comes next addresses these problems but if you are prepared to
ignore them the *ist D is a fine camera but will probably only be available
used in a very short time. The *ist DS design appears to have already addressed
these minor gripes from what I read.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998