Peter Loveday mused:

> Out of interest, how has it been improved in the DS, any idea?  Is it
> compressed, or no padding, or both?

It's improved on the *ist-DS; the camera estimates 97 RAW files per GB,
I believe (vs. 73 on the *ist-D, IIRC), and generally does significantly
better than that.

It's done by compression alone.  There's still those 4 bits of padding,
but eliminating those wouldn't help you; they are all the same (zero)
at every pixel position, so they effectively compress down to nothing.

Disclaimer:  I haven't seen very many DS raw files, so I'm basing this
on information from the limited samples I have seen.