On 2005-02-09 18:57, Pål Jensen wrote:
> Pentax have worked on both IS lenses and in-body IS. They have
> openly admitted that they intend to market IS in one form or another but
> as usual such plans may change.  As Pentax is facing mainly Nikon and
> Canon, but also Olympus and Panasonic 4/3 system, IS and/or USM will
> certainly help against the competition. The real test will be the D
> versions of the FA* lenses. If they come in D FA* version without IS
> and/or USM then theres no chance of such features in the foreseeable
> future. Updated FA* lenses seems like an obvious oportunity for
> introducing the KAF3 mount as I would expect Pentax, like Nikon, to
> introduce such features in higher end lenses.

Could you describe further what the KAF3 mount would be?
What's the difference to KAF2 (or probably the crippled KAF2)?

Is there any real chance to use IS lenses for the latest *ist D's?

I'm still arguing about the gone power contacts which would forbid IS lenses
for the first DSLRs, but could indicate a design decision to use in-body IS.

I guest most people would prefer in-body IS since every other lense would
profit from it, too. For Canon I feel it was reasonable to have everything
within the dedicated lense. But otherwise the body as central part (AF
drive, IS) still is justified.

Are there any standard test suites how to compare IS quality yet? I've seen
some comments on body frequencies and  range shifts. However, most IS seems
to work both in X and in Y direction, but not e.g. in rotation.

Rotation would be a typical shake when people press the release button too
hard, rotating the camera around the lense or wherever the other hand is
located.

Giving manual control to the in-body IS could provide e.g. built-in shift
capabilities. I feel that this is not really a major requirement, since it
can ge obtained by digital image processing later on as well.

Providing internal tilt would be yet another level of stabilisation - but I
doubt that this can be done very well in matters of speed and sensor weight.
However, it could be mentionned in order to show the options that could be
achieved some time.