Thanks a lot!
Michael

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Frantisek [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Samstag, 19. Februar 2005 18:27
An: Michael Heim
Betreff: Re: Change File Attributes

Saturday, February 19, 2005, 5:45:04 PM, Michael wrote:
MH> Does anybody of you know a program (or some lines of DOS-Code) to
MH> change file attributes of picture files (like the title or the
MH> author of a picture)? I often have lots of files with only the
MH> exif-information an need to set some attibutes when giving the files

MH> to our image editor. It's boring to do the same clicks and pastes 50

MH> times. There should be a batch-way to do this.

I assume from the "editor" and "author" that you mean newspaper standard
ITPC fields? There are some free programs that let you change IPTC
fields in batch mode, ie for a whole batch of images. IrfanView can do
this to, but it's somewhat unintuitive. In the newspaper world, this is
called captioning, am I right - do you mean this?

There are also commercial programs like Photo Mechanic, which are great
for photojournalists or other pros who need to caption a whole lot of
files quickly and efficiently. I tried the trial of the PM and liked it
a lot. PM allows you to caption using many variables and also templates
for diffferent photographers, and is usually the program of choice in
many agencies. Of course there are also others, there is a whole lot of
them. As I said, some of them are even free (but usually with less
refined user interface, which can be a problem for the PJ who needs to
caption the files and send them over cellular to his agency in minutes
after the event.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a command line program which can write
IPTC data, but maybe there are some.

If you do a seach for IPTC & command line, you should come with
something.

Also try IPTC & batch captioning & freeware, or similar searches.

IPTC is the industry standard for embeddding information like caption,
copyright holder, photographer, headline, headline writer, urgency,
location, keywords, categories et cetera in image files. It's the thing
you see when you call up Photoshop's File Info command. And you are
right, editing this for each image alone is a PITA.

I caption all my DSLR images including adding keywords upon copying them
from the card to disk, as it makes it much easier to import them into a
photo database program later.

Good light!
           fra