From: Timothy Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: On-the-Go Storage, it works!
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:54:09 -0800

I have solved my problem of mobile storage using a Bytecc (www.bytecc.com) model 940 USB 2.0 enclosure. This is a modified USB 2.0 enclosure running with additional firmware (OSB is a new USB 2.o initiative) allowing it to store files without a computer.

I also bought a 40gb Samsung 2.5 inch drive to go inside it.

Then the fun begins, the hard drive was unformatted and it took several hous of sweat and tears to get the damn thing working. However using the OS X Disc Utility I initialized it (initially) as a Mac journalled drive, this allowed it to mount on the desktop, then followed by erasing it which allows the use of MS-DOS Fat32 format/partition.

Of course this doesn't describe having to buy an uneccessary Firewire enclosuer and the four hours trying to format on a Windoze computer. Apparantly XP allows the formatting but (unverifed) can't easily make a FAT 32 format larger than 32gb without thrird party software.

Anyhow, now I don't have to buy another SD card, as my DS can now load my files straight in the little device.I am only limited by the size of tyhe hard drive, but I would like to have a holiday where I can max out 40Gb of photo storage one raw file at a time! The total cost of both pieces was $137.00 CDN plus tax, about the same as a 1gb SD card.

I called the manufacturer for assistance, but the help was of little value, I suggested they write a better owners manual.

as an aside, A quote from an article that appeared in today's Vancouver Sun:"Service Pack 2 is the modern day equivalent of the Black Death"!

Best regards from Vancouver