--- Godfrey DiGiorgi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have been using Vuescan and a Minolta Scan Dual II since Fall
> of 2000, have scanned perhaps 2000 or more negatives with it,
> and have never seen a streak.
> Where did you hear of this? And how would the scanning software
> know how to compensate for what sounds like a defect in your
> scanner hardware?

I first noticed this problem when one of my 8x12" print had a long yellow line.
Then
I searched (streaking + minolta) for answer on comp.periphs.scanners and found
it
was a Minolta issue with Vuescan. Since Minolta software doesn't have such
issue,
and Vuescan doesn't use Minolta SDK like SilverFast does, quite possible
Minolta use
the software to mask the hardware flaw on the mirror. I have switched the mirror
upside down and ran some tests. My conclusion is that the mirror is the source
of
problem. Since not all scanners have spots on the mirrors, some Minolta scanners
might be perfectly fine with Vuescan, while some don't.

http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.periphs.scanners

=====
Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan