I just got back from a cycling trip in the French Pyrenees.
Not quite the Himalayas, maximum we reached was 2000m. Lots of mountains though.
I took my MX and 40mm lens. I also took a 24mm lens which I rarely used. Odd, really
as I'd expected to use it much more for the spectacular views we had!
I found the above to be a perfect combination, especially if travelling light. (I was
on a bicycle, and the MX either travelled in the handlebar bag
or slung across my back during climbs.)
The M-series 24-50 zoom might be a good compromise. That's the lens I was going to
take, but I didn't want to ruin its mint condition by slinging it around
unprotected in a bike bag.......

Wendy

> Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 09:56:10 +0200
> From: Frank Wajer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: what is ideal lens for photography of mountains

> I'll be at Kala Patar 5500m altitude (ie 18000ft for the yankees).
> Everest basecamp is at 5700m (19000ft), but there is no view of Everest
> from basecamp. So I'll be IN the Himalaya not in Kathmandu taking pictures
> from Everest with a 10000mm lens.

> So yes, I'm thinking about a wide angle lens, btw there are no angels
> there because Nepali are buhdist.

> Oh, at 18000ft I'll not carry anything heavier than 1kg (+- 2 lbs)
> or I'll die.
>
> I'll either take my MX or MZ-5N.
>
> Frank

----
Wendy Beard, Senior Library Engineer
Philips Semiconductors - Library Technology Group
Room FB2.071, Gerstweg 2, 6534 AE Nijmegen