The lighting was virtually all flash. The ambient light was negligible. In this
case I didn't want to avoid this look, because it seemed to suit the subject.
With his black fur, Willy gets lost in the shadows with more conventional
lighting. However, if I wanted to achieve a very nice high key plus fill look
with the flash, I'd use the omnibounce reflector that has holes in it. This
unit directs some of the light at the subject from camera position and bounces
the rest off the ceiling. It's about the best one can achieve with on-camera
light. To make it work for verticals, you have to use a special flash bracket
Other options would be to combine the flash with window (or open sky) light.
With open sky light, I'd want the flash firing into a reflector like the
omnibounce (with no holes) or an umbrella, like the Larson Sof' Shoulder. That
reverses the equation. The sky becomes the high key and the flash is the fill.
Here's a shot that uses open sky as the high key and an on ca!
 mera flash firing into an umbrella as fill: