From: Frank Theriault [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 6:19 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Ebay SPF

Well, I hate to say it, James, but the vendor did say:

> This lot is sold "as is" tho as I am not a camera expert, so I cannot
guarantee that a cleaning will solve the shutter
>            problem.

Of course that doesn't give him license to misrepresent anything.  I would
think
that about all you can do is ask for a refund and see if he's amenable under
the
circumstances.  It would appear that he may not have been aware of the
deficiencies.

When asking for the refund, you could threaten him with negative feedback on
eBay.

Beyond that, Caveat Emptor rules, I would think.

regards,
frank

James Adams wrote:

> I received the Spotmatic F, lenses and flash today from the auction I won.
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1236238488
>
> The SPF shutter/mirror was jamming (which I fixed), and the SMC Tak 55mm
> f1.8 lens had the filter ring dented from the camera being dropped. The
rear
> element had fluid marks inside the lens, plus what looks to be mold inside
> the front element. The same is true for the Kitsar 28mm lens.  On getting
> home I found the spotmeter does not work, also the flash is dead. The only
> thing that works ok, is the Kitstar 80mm - 210 Zoom.
>
> Quote: The lens that is ON the camera in the photos is marked ASAHI Opt.
Co.