----- Original Message ----- From: "John Francis"
Subject: Re: Taking, Making, Creating Images

It sounds realistic to me, not ridiculous.

I agree. And in any case, if you're going to reduce the process to a mechanical following of a recipe/formula, you might as well let a machine do the work - you've removed any creative input from the process of creating those subsequent prints.

I have, on a number of occassions, made limited edition print sets for myself, or other photographic artists.
In this situation, the entire edition needs to have every print as close to the others as is possible.
If you have a complicated printing regime for a particular negative, that you have arrived at through many hours of printing test after test after test, you have put the creative input into the process.
After that, you have to repeat the same set of steps on every print, and have every step close enough to the guide that any differences are not visible to the naked eye.
Printing multiple identical pictures is a mechanical process once you have gotten the process right, getting that first print right can be a very complicated creative process.

William Robb