There are ways to work in the darkroom, and there are WAYS to work in a
darkroom.  I may have a little added benefit over some because for a number
of years I worked in a print shop, making half tones, burning plates,
making negs and masks, and so on.  As you noted, there are techniques that
go beyond waving a piece of cut out cardboard over the paper for local
tonal and contrast adjustment.

Shel