I find that I don't trust my own anecdotal evidence much when it comes to rechargeable batteries. That said, different chargers and different batteries definitely vary quite a bit in terms of how much heat they generate when charging. I've had a couple of sets that appeared to have gotten fried by chargers, not before getting a reasonable amount of use out of them, fortunately. I'm using a Lightning Pack 4000 from RipVan100 which seems pretty good, and definitely shuts off if the batteries start to overheat. You have to restart the charger manually when they do!

This is the only reasonably systematic discussion of how actual chargers perform that I've found.

<http://www.crypto.com/chargers/>

At 10:18 AM -0400 4/10/05, Mark Cassino wrote:
From: "Alan P. Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I get the impression that a lot of what people describe as memory problems are really just out and out battery damage due to overheating and probably other stuff.

I have an Energizer 30 minute charger. The batteries are HOT when they come out - they won't physically burn your fingers, but they are too hot to comfortably hold in your hand.

I bought this a couple of years ago to replace an older Rayovac charger that took about 8 hours to charge up a set of NMHi batteries. Unfortunately the Rayovac was damaged when a battery leaked inside of it.

I've been tossing NiHI that are in the 3 year old range - they won't take a charge from the energizer charger. It's hard to say how much use they get since they have been used in the *ist-D, CoolPix 990, and lots of flashes. But could the high temps of the charger be a problem?

Thanks -

MCC

Mark Cassino Photography
Kalamazoo, MI
www.markcassino.com

--
Alan P. Hayes
Meaning and Form: Writing, Editing and Document Design

Photographs at
http://www.ahayesphoto.com/americandead/index.htm