On Apr 11, 2005, at 6:10 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

The *ist DS file size is much
improved but still not as good as most.

I'm always suprised when I hear how many Canon raw files fit on a xxx sized
card. They seem to get quite high compression levels for their raw files.

With the 10D, writing RAW format with the camera set to its defaults, I obtain 127 RAW files per a 1G CF card. If I modify the defaults with a custom function and minimize the embedded JPEG file, I can get 143 RAW exposures per 1G card.

With the *ist DS, I get 100-105 RAW format exposures on a 1G SD card.

So the Canon will store 27-43% more RAW exposures per 1G card. While this is a useful improvement in space efficiency, I don't really consider that significant. Yeah, sure, I need 3 1G SD cards for the DS compared to 2 1G CF cards for the 10D, but they're cheap enough as to not be that much of a burden nowadays. I don't often need more than one 1G card anyway, unless I'm traveling.

Godfrey