On May 3, 2005, at 11:44 AM, Boris Liberman wrote:

What I meant is that you can switch between matrix, center-weighted and spot metering by mere flick of a switch. Not sure this is as easy on DS.

It's a couple of button presses, not find and flick a switch. Not a big difference one way or the other to me.

This by the way solved my problem with soft lens. Simply shooting with C-AF one can always release the shutter, so I would use this and be done :).

How would being able to release the shutter whether or not the lens was in focus solve a problem with a lens being 'soft'? I don't understand.

In the menu of D you have three user memories where you store shooting settings for your camera.

Hmm. My A2 has three memory setups like that. Problem is I never remember what I've set in each of them and always use P-Tv-Av-M instead ... I find having ONE custom configuration set up is all I need, I just concentrate on exposure and focus after that.

There is a choice of major program:

1. Normal is well, normal.
2. MTF - FA and probably F lenses have ability to transfer MTF data to the body. So camera would choose exposure combination (aperture and shutter speed) so that it give you best results w.r.t. MTF data.
3. Depth - camera would favor slower shutter speeds so that you can get more DOF with smaller apertures.
4. Speed - opposite of depth - sacrifice DOF, get faster shutter speed.

As David pointed out, these are mirrored in the Program preset scene modes, if you choose to use them. Probably a little simpler but I ignore them anyway.

I can't think of living without hyper modes, metered manual, depth and speed programs, C-AF, and probably some other features. ...

It's funny. All these exotic and convenient features mean so much to so many ... yet so many of my favorite pictures for most of the past 40 years were made with cameras that had nothing but focus, aperture and shutter speed settings, and simple or no built-in meters.

Most of what I like about the DS, aside from it's nice size and access to good lenses, is that for the most part I can set the camera up just one way and then use aperture, shutter speed and focus to make my photographs. It returns photography back to what I always loved about shooting with my old Nikon FM and Leica M4-P. The rest is just convenience and icing on the cake. ;-)

Godfrey