> From: Cotty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2005/05/19 Thu PM 02:14:18 GMT
> To: "pentax list" <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
> Subject: Re: How to photograph animals in the dark?
>
> On 19/5/05, mike.wilson, discombobulated, unleashed:
>
> >Here's a conundrum.  I've been doing bat surveys for the last few weeks,
> >as it is that time of year.  Mostly it is quite easy turn up at dusk or
> >dawn (or both, which is quite hard....) wander round with a bat detector
> >and note anything flying.  If it's a big roost you can often spot it
> >quickly, if it's smaller more visits will be needed to pin it down.
> >But......
> >
> >It turns out that there is a commmon specie of bat around here that is
> >comparitively solitary and does not register well on a bat detector.  My
> >thought is that the easiest way to spot these would be by photography.
> >They tend to use barns and these often have largeish openings that the
> >bat is most likely to use.  The two thoughts I have had are:
> >
> >1) use a video camera on a tripod and film the opening.  That means
> >someone will have to sit and watch the ~2 hours of video.
> >2) use trap focus to catch individuals.
>

> We have a  fairly cheap Video 8 digi camcorder that has an infrared light
> on it and when set for IR capture, it's quite astonishing what detail can
> clearly be seen in the pitch black (visible) light. I am certain it would
> record a bat flying through frame at say 20 feet away.
>
> This is the camcorder:
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/ac4nn>
>
> HTH

It does.  I've heard of these types of camera before - and the nefarious uses
they can be put to 8-) - and I think that, notwithstanding having to sit
through the film, it is going to be the easier way to go.

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
virus-checked by McAfee
visit www.ntlworld.com/security for more information