Tom,
The last two Toshiba laptops that I've purchased have been under $800.
...With a CD burner on board but 8 pounds in weight.  They are a great
solution to downloading images and can fly in the suitcase.
I always take my laptop on vacation.  Look at Best Buy or Circuit City
this weekend for the rebate deals (graduation gifts).
Regards,  Bob S.