Ravilious was the local photographer in North Devon for many years (he's
dead now). Most of his work is in black & white. It is a nostalgic portrait
of a remote, rural community.

Over the years he honed his technique to produce a soft, old-fashioned look.
He had started with modern Leitz lenses, and Tri-X. At the end he was using
uncoated Elmars and Hektors from the 1920s and 30s on an M3. These lenses
are said to have good 'drawing' qualities, giving a 'rounded' feel to the
image, whatever that means. A strong 3-dimensionality, I think, with a lot
of shadow detail even when shooting against the sun.

He used the Zone system, overexposing by 1 stop, then compensating in the
development using a very dilute soft-working solution.

He used a very light yellow filter over the lens.

This combination of factors is said to have produced the very long tonal
range in the neg., and a slightly soft feel to the image. It seems he rarely
needed to burn in the sky more than about 10-30%.

He even made his own lens hood to cope with the fact that he shot so much
against the light.

The book doesn't seem to mention what b&w film he was using at the end,
although for colour he used K25. I would guess he was using a fairly slow
b&w film too.

This may be old-hat to you - I'm not into the fineries of processing. But it
gives his photographs a very distinctive look, which is well-suited to his
subject matter, and a welcome change from the high-contrast which
predominates nowadays.

--
Cheers,
 Bob