Main reason I won't ever touch a *ist ds is the absurd placement of
  metering mode / flash compensation / focus point selection which are
  more than 6 clicks away through the menus. The software designers in
  their infinite wisdom decided that image attributes - size, tone,
  saturation etc. are more important settings that the photographer
  will fiddle with more often, hence they're at the beginning of the
  menu. I think I know what Pentax problem is: the imaging division
  must abound in all kind of qualifications except for photographer.

  Overall I strongly disagree with this trend of delegating more
  functionality in the recording mode of the LCD menu. All
  photographic functions should be available externally and at worst
  display feedback on a top, small LCD. The *ist ds is basically
  unusable in dark, when making the slightest adjustment forces the
  photographer to look at the LCD and his degraded night vision will
  require long minutes to recover. The former (?) *ist d is a bit
  better in this regard but its operation is still closer to a
  computer than to a real camera.

  Servus,  Alin