On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 08:23:37PM -0400, Wigwam Jones wrote:

> I downloaded 'dcraw' which is a batch command-line converter, it seems
> to work well.  This is also available for free in MS-DOS format in
> various places on the web - it is free software.

Free is nice, but sometimes it's worth little more than what you pay for it.

The original version of dcraw used a rather poor Bayer reconstruction
algorithm.  I believe the current verson is better, but it's still
nowhere near as good as the algorithms found in several other converters.
(Including some other free converters, albeit not for Linux platforms).

> One last thing - this I am not sure anybody else knows yet.  The Pentax
> PEF (RAW) format file DOES contain an embedded JPG file.

Yes. - we've known that for a while.  But it's only the lowest-quality
JPG - suitable for previewing, and perhaps for small final images, but
not really good enough for serious use.