there is no shame in imitating when learning. it's the acid test of originality and vision to see if you can get beyond imitating. that's when you are contributing something to the art instead of just the volume. there are three or so working pros in the area i like to photograph besides myself that mostly photograph the same subjects. the group of us admire the same places, but each of us has a much different view on many of them. there are a few that just really need to be taken a certain way just to have "the" standard shot. the creative challenge then becomes how to be different from the others and yet have the same impact on the people that view our work. i can assure you the same people view our work, perhaps not together, but in the places we publish.

Herb....
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Dayton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Herb Chong" <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 6:24 PM
Subject: Re: Don't need no stinkin' filters!

The guy who guided us into Monument Valley (a guide is mandatory),
happens to lead John Sexton on many of his Southern Utah photo
expeditions and seminars.  He said that he is quite surprised how most
of the photographers are trying to take the same exact pictures that John does
- even to the same placement of tripod, etc.  Almost all of them are
4X5 shooters - so somewhat serious about their work.