Boris,

asking a question would have been a good idea, as the descrition says "UV" and the box has a sticker "skylight". It's often good looking very attentively to the pictures.

On the other hand, judging by the reflections it really seems to be a ghostless filter, AFAIK there are no other ones that are not flat (except a very special one I own). I would probably fix the loose barrel and use it for one of my 50's.

The point of asking questions is very well answered by Don and - thank you! - Joaquim. I just asked a question to a seller and I'm not happy that he published Q&A, this could make the item more interesting to other buyers than I like.

Graywolf,
there is positive feedback and positive feedback. Today, I saw even a positive feedback with a very negative text, so it's always worth taking a look. You can often read if a transaction was so-so or realy great, if a seller managed a problem in a good matter, etc. These days, I received a positive feedback just saying "OK." I got an email explaining that the item I sold had a minor defect, so that brought me this short feedback text.

JCO,
I always try to leave a feedback that is true and meaningful. Again, reading feedbacks even of 100% ebayers is very interesting.

Boris Liberman wrote:
Hi!

See, you are getting into that area about "not as described" that I was complaining about last month. I had been demanding a full refund including shipping both way, and when that completed giving a positive with a note the item was not as described but the seller refunded my money. I no longer feel that is fair to other buyers.

Indeed I am, Tom, you're quite right. It is just that this whole matter is mere $20 and I want to use it as my own mistake upon which I will learn. I made a bid without making an "eye-contact" with the seller. Next time I will specifically ask them to tell me what is written on the filter barrel.

Since shipping back is order of $3-$5, I think I will not make any fuss about shipping back. After all, these few bucks are not getting into the pocket of the seller.

I still have not decided what feedback to give, if the seller just tells you to "go jump in the lake" it is easy, give a negative. But what should we do when the seller makes it good? I have come to the conclusion that giving positive feedback is hurting all the buyers and will eventually destroy the usefulness of ebay. Why? Because if you can not depend on the descriptions how can you tell what to bid on an item. It will become pretty useless.

I think that "mutual admiration" which plagues photo sites of various sorts happens on eBay as well. It is not difficult to see that there are people on eBay who would do more or less everything in order to get positive feedback or not to get any feedback at all. Then their positive feedback rate will always be 100%.

So what to do? I am leaning toward giving neutral feedback with a note it was NAD, but the seller made good on it. That give folks a heads-up to watch out for, and verify that sellers future descriptions before bidding. I guess that is all neutral feedback is good for anyway, just a "watch out" notification.

I will indeed have to see how this story develops. At worst, I'll be taught a (bitter) lesson.

What is funny here is that this very transaction is the second that I've done for myself. The first one happened few days before the second. So the very first time I go buy stuff for me, I get in trouble ;-). Before that I was buying stuff on behalf of my friends who don't have international credit card.

I discount the transaction I did with JCO simply because there eBay/PayPal was mere tool. I knew in advance that it will be fine, and so I hope knew JCO...

Boris