Nature photography is such a different type of photography,  Much more
methodical, careful, and, of course, a lot slower and more deliberate.
Still, exposure is exposure. When I got started 30+ years ago the fellow
who was mentoring me offered a tip about making exposure readings.  He
essentially said to meter the palm of your hand and open up a stop, and
then you're good to go.  There are, of course, a number of variations on
that - meter the sidewalk and open up a stop or so (depends on the tone of
grey that the sidewalk is), meter your jeans (Levis that have been washed
between 7 and 26 times in warm water using a typical detergent will yield a
Zone V reading).  Actually, kidding aside, what I'm saying is that you can
find a "constant" from which to meter and use it always.  Jeans are good, a
camera bag, your favorite cap - doesn't matter.  The palm of your hand is
always available.

Anyway, have phun with your photography in philly ;-))

Shel

: