On 11 Jul 2005 at 16:25, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> I've been working with Memory Stick, Compact Flash and Secure Digital
> storage cards for a long time and not yet seen a single incidence of
> static discharge damage to any of them. It's certainly a possibility,
> but its significance is incidental at best.

Not though our normally dry winters in Sydney, I regularly draw a spark during
the day, I also often whip my cards in and out of my pockets when I'm in a
rush. Though I'm sure they have diode protection I'd prefer not to have bared
contact pins on my memory cards.

> I have seen several cameras require repair due to bent pins in the
> internal CF card socket, as well as a few cameras/readers with jammed
> cards that needed a service trip to dislodge them. I've not seen this
> happen with any Memory Stick or SD cameras/devices yet.

Never had a problem with my CF cards to date, I've had to fix a whole lot of CD
reader draws that imbeciles have managed to break however.

> Memory cards are just a commodity nowadays, with fast 1G cards
> approaching $70 and even lower, so it's really not that big a deal
> which ones a camera uses if you don't already have a bunch of any
> given type.

One GB might be fine for some but SD are still over-priced and always of lesser
capacity than CF cards.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998