The price of a DS body is quite favorable right now. I might just go for it and order that second body I've been thinking of, not wait for the next model to roll out, never mind a momentary pause in cash flow... Hmm. I can sell my 10D and finance it. ;-)

What Shel should get ... I have no particular agenda towards one or the other body, both are good and if only one of them were available I would not feel any hesitation to nab it. The quality and feature set of either is good enough that it shouldn't matter.

... The bottom line at this point is that the feature set on the Ds is more than adequate for me at this time, although the feature set on the D may allow more flexibility later should my needs change. But by that time I'd
expect at least one more generation of a Pentax DSLR.

Sounds like you're very close to your decision, Shel. I'll be interested to hear how you like working with whichever one you pick up once you own it and can spend more than 'some time with a loaner' with it.

Godfrey