Hi Scott ...

Yes, it's clear what you did, and that's what's to be expected using the
invert command.  But, if you want to change just ONE color, a different
approach is needed.  The Replace Color command seems to be the simplest and
easiest approach, although there are probably a number of other
alternatives as well.

http://home.earthlink.net/~pdml-pics/comp.jpg

Here you see the original, followed by inverting the colors, and finally
the same image using the Replace Color command, globally changing just the
black to white.  A selection could have been made to change just a portion
of the black to white, such as only the area outside of the label.

HTH

Shel