Jostein wrote:

IIRC, John Shaw also recomments the kitchen bowl accessory in "closeups in nature". It seems more and more like a good thing to try. Thanks for nudging me in that direction.

I suspect that I will need a fairly small bowl, though. I measured the working distances of various lens combinations, and found this:

FA100/2.8 macro + reversed FA50/1.4 : 16-39mm
A*200/4 macro + reversed FA50/1.4: 31-40mm

The intervals come from the focus setting on the primary lens.

So for a reasonably flexible solution, I think I will look for a bowl that protrudes about 30mm from the lens.

Hi Jostein,

I've been thinking about the actual requirements for using a bowl. You'll have to do something to keep the bowl from flopping around. My guess is that you'll need to glue a couple blocks of something (styrofoam?) on the inside of the bowl to rest against the lens and keep it steady. That means the bowl won't be mounted right at the end of the lens assembly.

I think this system will diffuse the light quite a bit so you'll want the bowl fairly close to your subject to avoid underexposure.

The bowl will have to be wide enough to catch the light from your AF-500FTZ and shallow enough that it won't interfere with your subject since you're working so close.

I see a marketing opportunity for these things if they work.

Tom Reese