----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Waterson"
Subject: Wow, Canvas "is" dead (Was maybe film *is* dead!)

I think regardless of cost, film will survive. When the first Black and White photos became comercially available I can almost here the artists screaming...

There are a couple of key differences at play here.
Few people can paint well, it's always been that way.
Most people can take a decent photograph, providing they have a camera of some sort.

Photography was not really competition for painting as an art form so much as a democratizer, in that all of a sudden, most anyone could make good "art". Digital imaging is a direct competitor to about 98% of film's customers, and is becoming very widely accepted by that customer base, and is being pushed very hard as a desirable alternative to film by both manufacturers and the service industry.

Painting is still being taught in most every art school, photography schools are abandoning film entirely.

The people aren't buying it anymore, the artists aren't being taught with it anymore.

Every lab operator I talk to is saying film processing volumes are in freefall. We've dropped another 10% since Christmas, and film processing is less than 40% of it's peak volume of 3 years ago, which was our busiest year since we started doing photoprocessing in Canada.

Further, half of our film processing is now single use cameras, which eventually will be the only film available, I am betting sooner rather than later on this one. You might want to learn how to optimize Kodak Max800, it's what you are going to be shooting in a couple of years from now.
Unless you are shooting digital, that is.

I know this is an unpopular outlook, but it is what I am seeing, working within the industry. I don't like it, but I have to be realistic about the trends I am seeing in my industry.

William Robb