On 21 Jul 2005 at 20:28, K.Takeshita wrote:

> Yes, Pentax has been slow, and that is their most sin.  Technically, they
> have everything needed to produce a pro level DSLR.
> The problem with Pentax, and it probably comes from their size, is that they
> are
> timid in making a bold move in the market place. But they certainly know where
> the money is and they are always there. When the current CEO took over from
> the
> family, and started changing the mentality a couple of years ago, it coincided
> with the rise of the DSLR market and the *istD was the result.  It was
> partially
> true that Pentax was considered dead in the DSLR market, and *istD was a
> pleasant surprise.  But they still had to feed the rapidly expanding market,
> and
> the result was Ds. But they still have to squeeze some more money from the
> market, hence DL.

OK I hear all you say and I can appreciate the company philosophy but how does
the 645D fit into it, it's hardly a conservative move. A camera to replace the
*ist D six months ago surely wouldn't have been too much of an imposition on
the company, far less than launching an MF DSLR I'm guessing?

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998