The one that first, and still does, was HCB's shot of women on a ridge in Afghanistan. Wonderfully atmospheric, great tonal range, and a sense of stillness and waiting for something to happen. I think that shot alone wanted me to do better than snapshooting, and started me with Pentax enablement, long before this list really got me going!

John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob W" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 2:14 AM
Subject: What inspired you?

Hi,

I sent an email yesterday about Cartier-Bresson being inspired by Munkacsi's
photo of the boys running into the surf. I got to thinking about the photo
which first made me aware of photography, and the first photographer whose
name I actively sought out and remembered.

In the early 1970s I was at boarding school, where we had the newspapers
delivered every day. I remember seeing this photograph in, I think, the
Sunday Times. I made a deliberate effort to memorise the photographer's
name, and started to look out for more of his photographs:
http://tinyurl.com/cn2sr.

It made me aware that photography could be something beyond the prosaic. I
still find this photograph very interesting, mysterious and inspiring.

What photographs and photographers were your first inspiration?

--
Cheers,
Bob