These are my opinions only.

William (The Wise) Robb wrote:

The way to become a better photographer is to educate your eye.
The way to do that is to look at pictures, not necessarily take them.
Look at them, see why the work, and more importantly, what causes them to fail, which they inevitably will, from time to time.

Well said. I would add that a student of photography should also study art to improve your sense of color, proportion and perspective. Study the principles and techniques of composition in art. Study composition as it relates to photography.

I would also add that the way to become a better photographer is to slow down, take your time and try to get a few really outstanding images.

If you are not analyzing every single frame that you shoot, and discovering why a picture works or not, and quantifying the reasons, you are shooting too much.

You're right in the context of this thread. Outside the context of this thread, it's also possible for someone to hardly shoot at all and still not study their pictures enough.

Every picture should be studied with the thoughts:

1. Exactly what was I trying to capture here? What was I trying to say about the subject?

2. Did I succeed? How can I improve that message next time?

3. What don't I like about this picture that I need to watch out for next time?

That's the way I do it FWIW.

Tom Reese