On Jul 30, 2005, at 10:53 PM, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

When I read about what people are doing to secure their digitized and
digital files I realize that I could never do all that on a regular basis.

I really don't do much to "secure" my digital imagery that I don't just do as a matter of course in backing up my computer data. All my financial records, notes, writings, etc are just as valuable to me. I back the whole thing of them up on a regular basis, the photos go along for the ride.

Film just comes back from the lab or my kitchen, gets sleeved in any one of a couple of ways, and the sleeved film is just put into an envelope with
the pic info written on it.  Then i just throw 'em into a file cabinet
where they remain until i want them for some reason. Worst case scenario
is that I thumb through a few envelopes.

I have thousands of negatives like that. Just stuffed into pages and crammed into corners, boxes, etc. Have no idea where to find anything. With my digital images, I can find anything out of everything in a matter of moments.

This digital thing is no time or money saver for me.

I'm not going to reenter that debate. However, I know from my records over the past decade that film and processing were costing me upwards of $1500-2000 per year, and that money now goes into improvements elsewhere in my photography.

Y'know what I miss about having my pics on a CD, DVD, or HDD?  I miss
holding the negs up to the light to see what they look like.

Nostalgia.

I just connect up an archive HD, pick a random selection from whatever year/batch I want to skim, and tell the computer to give me a slide show. If want to sit in the living room, I login via the wireless network... My computers are *always* running anyway ... they have a lot of work to do all the time.

Godfrey