The problem isn't the relative darkness, but rather very high contrast/the
uneven distribution of light in the total scenery.
Use spot metering or remeber to compensate for dark background (- correction
= underexposure).

Remember that the 1600 ASA Fuji actually is less grainy than the 800 ASA.
Don't even think about using a flash!
I believe the suggestion about using a a monopod is brilliant.

Regards
Jens Bladt
Arkitekt MAA
http://hjem.get2net.dk/bladtJens

A friend of mine is playing drums in a band on Tuesday night, and he gave me
permission to shoot them. I have never tried to do this with "serious" gear.
I believe the space will be pretty small and dark. I'm planning on taking
the FA 50mm f/1.4 and the FA 31mm f/1.8. My fastest lenses beyond the 50mm
are the  Tamron 28-75mm f/2.9 and the Tamron 90mm f/2.8. Will this be fast
enough? I tried to buy the 77mm Ltd. today, but it's out of stock in black.
:) Is it worth it to try to bring a tripod? I imagine not because of motion
blur...anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts on this kind of shooting.

Thanks,
Amita