On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Stan Halpin wrote:

> Hey Seth - write me down as an idiot. I HATE insurance. Insurance means:
>     a. Higher costs

Not that much in Canada.  Regular parcel post air mail comes with $100 CAN
worth of insurance, and insurance to cover the Super Program would only
have been another buck or two.

>     b. Huge hassle when the sender uses UPS and UPS doesn't have any place
> to pick up from and you have to schedule your life to be there when UPS
> delivers;
>     c. Minor hassle with FedEx and you have to drive 10 miles to their
> warehouse and get there before 9:00pm

That's why I only buy items that will be shipped through the post
office.  :)

>     d. No hassle with USPS because Bill will usually tuck the item under the
> bushes and leave me a note on my voice mail. If it looks too expensive he
> won't leave a "signature required" item, but I still only have a 2 mile
> drive to get the item. But I do have to be there during their short business
> hours . ..

For me, it's a 2 minute walk to the local post office, so no big deal
there.  :)

> I routinely ask eBay sellers to NOT use insurance, and I have never had any
> item lost/stolen/damaged/whatever. When I sell an item, I would not think of
> using insurance unless the seller really really wanted it and was willing to
> bear the cost.

I'd be fine with shipping an uninsured item as long as the buyer
understood that all the risk was at their end.  I package things
exceptionally well and address them correctly, but if there's no insurance
then that's the limit of my responsibility.  Of course I don't mind trying
to trace uninsured items that don't arrive, but I don't feel obligated to
eat the loss on those items if the buyer specifically requests no
insurance.  So far there have been no problems with the post office,
though, fortunately.  :)

> My reasons?
> 1. I trust that people will send what they promised.
> 2. I trust that people will use reasonable care in packing.
> 3. I trust the postal system which is highly reliable. At least within US
> and Canada.
>
> Note that I would not under any conditions mail anything to Mexico. I may be
> an idiot but I am not stupid.  Argentina, no problem.

*L*  True enough.  I haven't had any bad experiences shipping
internationally yet, so until I do I'll continue to do it (with insurance,
of course).  :)

chris