From: "Chris Brogden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, William Robb wrote:
>
> > Chris, you are missing the major point here, which is, who is
> > responsible for delivery of goods or service? If a seller has an
> > undertaking with a buyer for goods, and the seller has been paid
> > in full, then it is the sellers responsibility to make good on
> > the transaction.
>
> Is that Canadian law?  I haven't heard that before.

It's the law everywhere in the civilized world.

> What's to stop Canada
> Post from arguing that their job was to ship the item to Argentina, which
> they did successfully.  Are they still legally responsible for items lost
> by another country's post office?

Yes. They are responsible to the seller until the shippment reaches it's
final destination. Since Canada Post does not perform delivery in other
contries, they contract with delivery services in other countries for
delivery and Canada Post buys insurance with them (and/or maintain
reciprocal agreements with them). It's pretty much automatic. If Canada Post
successfully delivers to an Argentine delivery service but the Argentine
delivery service looses the package, Canada Post pays the seller, and has
recourse to the Argentine delivery service who pays Canada Post.

> I have no idea, but it seems unlikely.

Think about it a little more. This is the only way to maintain
responsibility and protect people. Every method that involves "passing the
buck" has always failed, with lawyers getting rich.