Recent news item: Post office delivers letter 89 years late!

Over thirty years, I have had one house payment and one Sears payment lost
in the mail. The house payment actually arrived about two months late. I'd
not put a stop payment on the check, so that month was a severely short
month, cash wise. The Sears payment never showed up. Damage in shipment is
more common.

You're right that problems are uncommon. Nevertheless, they do happen. The
fact that they are uncommon is what makes the insurance pretty cheap. You
are welcome, as a seller, to ship without insurance. You must, of course,
accept responsibility for your choices (as in all of life), and if the
shipment is lost (admittedly improbable), you must pony up for the buyer.
It's the only honest thing to do.

Regards,
Bob...