On 18/8/05, Tim Øsleby, discombobulated, unleashed:

>Cotty. I was expecting a reaction from you (an unleashed reaction). But I
>was kindo surprised by the fact that you were hooked on the old fart bait,
>instead of the rubber knickers. I have considered you more as a rubber
>knickers man ;-)

Yo Tim,

Actually roofing felt is my thing....

>Jokes aside. As I've stated before, I am a social worker, and I am working
>with young people. Some times I do feel I understand them better than they
>do themselves.

Joking aside.

>Many of "my" kids do self mutilate, not because it's cool. No, they do it
>because it takes their inner pain away, for a brief moment. That's what
>piercing really is about, for some kids. Sometimes it is a statement. I have
>experienced a kid who cut himself, and wrote at the wall, in blood, "I want
>death". That's my reality, abused neglected children, with no hope in their
>eyes, crying for help.

Yessir.

>With this in mind, I am asking again. How do we adults react when a young
>girl stick a needle into herself several times in public (the red spots in
>her face aren't pimples), with fear and/or pain in her eyes?

I don't think you can lump all adults into one pot by asking how we
react. I would say that it totally depends where the person reacting is
coming from. I've met people in my work who would react in such different
ways to a young girl sticking needles into herself in public several
times. If you're asking what my reaction would be, I would say pretty
indifferent.

I don't mean to sound like a heartless twit by saying that. I mean that
in my job I see that sort of thing a lot, but my profession is
communication by image and sound, not medical or social rescue. If the
girl in question suddenly passed out, then my role woule change slightly
as I'm also a first-aider, and I believe that if there is anything I can
do in the first instance to preserve life, then I will do so. If someone
else gets there first or it is obvious the situation is in control, then
I would continue with my profession - assuming I'm at work.

If I'm not at work, and out on the street relaxing with my stills camera,
then that might be a slightly different story. In fact, the sort of
photography I do, I would probably not be looking for druggies or drunks
as subjects, and hence would avoid areas where they hang out (yes - even
in Oxford England), so the scenario would not usually arise.

If I came across your situation and was invited to photograph, then I
would not have a problem with it.

One thing that does transfer across from profession to relaxation is a
dispassionate attitude. It's the way that I have learned to deal with
things over the years. Too many tragic circumstances, too many
unbelievably sad stories - I decided long ago that I couldn't take them
home with me (the stories) or I would not be able to carry on doing the
job. So I developed a mindset that allows me to switch off and
concentrate purely on the job in hand. I can do that with stills as well,
but it doesn't usually get tested as much as when I'm working for TV
news. That's because I choose not to enter into situations with stills
that require the dispassionate attitude.

As a communicator, I reason that by helping to illustrate a story and
bring it to the attention of others by visual means, I'm hopefully aiding
(in a very small way) an improvement in the situation in question. The
results speak for themselves - people and money coming forward in tragic
medical circumstances, help and initiative in adverse conditions,
awareness and reaction where there previously was ignorance. These things
spur me on, and when the downside appears in my viewfinder, sure it can
have an effect on me - I shed tears just like any normal person - but
I've managed to be able to control that so it doesn't stand in the way of
the job. The end result justifies the means, I guess you could say.

>Is it a proper
>reaction to go into the scene and photograph?

In your situation, it may not be. In many others' situations it may not be.

>Partly as a voyeur, become
>part of it, smiling a "this a cool shot" smile to them while pushing the
>trigger? It made me a bit sick by myself.

This sort of photography is not for everyone. You have to be comfortable
doing it, or why bother?? You have to look after number one, or nothing
else can follow.

>I am serious, deadly serious, despite my silly jokes.
>And no, I don't believe I'm an old fart in this. Sorry for being such a
>party killer.

Don't be sorry - it hasn't killed my party!!

FWIW, I don't believe you're an old fart either.

A young one, yes. An old one, no  :-)

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__