Probably the single most important feature of the AF540FGZ is P-TTL, thus addressing the problem the AF500FTZ has with digital SLR's. For that reason I bought the Sigma EF500DG Super (which works fine).

The AF540FGZ also has auto flash mode (missing on the AF500FTZ), it accepts TR Power Pack II external supply, it covers 24-85mm lens FOV (20mm with wide-angle diffuser). All those FOV's are 35mm format equivalent. And it has spotbeam AF illuminator you can use without using the flash! Then it also gives you info about coverage for digital, 35mm, 645 and 67 systems, and so on. It's even equipped with a sliding catch-light panel... It looks like a serious flash unit!

Dario

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kostas Kavoussanakis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2005 2:06 PM
Subject: Re: New Digital SLR Products From Pentax

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Dario Bonazza wrote:

Of course, we'd like something better. The new AF540FGZ flash can make our good hopes grow...

I was quite pleased with the announcement. But it looks very bad to me compared with the 500. What do people think? I tend to associate stylish, down to earth design with attention to detail, durability etc, and this does not give good vibes.

The lens looks good too, though I don't think I will ever be able to afford one.

Kostas