Toralf Lund wrote:
Since the "full-frame" discussion re-emerged yet another time earlier today, I thought maybe I'd ask, how about a 36x36 mm sensor? Wouldn't that be the "ultimate" size for a 35mm body and lens? I mean, the elements being circular, surely the lens should handle the same size along both axes?

Of if you simply like rectangles, how does 31 x 36 sound? (Same ratio as 6x7, more or less...)

36x36mm would be too large for the image circle of a lens designed to cover 36x24mm - 30x30mm would work though. You could get better performance than a 36x24mm sensor for crops "squarer" than an aspect ratio of 5:4, but you'd lose quality for anything wider than that.